History

A greyhound being weighed in before racing in the early days of the Jacksonville Kennel Club

In the early 1930’s, the Jacksonville Kennel Club introduced greyhound racing to Northeast Florida. Initially, Jacksonville Kennel Club operated during the summer months and it was not uncommon to have thousands of patrons attend each and every performance. In the 1940’s, the ownership of Jacksonville Kennel Club acquired a license to race greyhounds in Clay County and soon after the Orange Park Kennel Club opened. In the 1970’s, St. Johns Greyhound Park, formally known as Gator Downs, was added to the racing schedule providing racing fans with year round greyhound action in Duval, Clay and St. Johns counties.

Menu