Another great stakes race is ahead of us here at bestbet Jacksonville. The 2019 edition of the $20,000 Orange Park Derby will run on Saturday evening February 2nd in the 11th race. Loads of talent on tap as 3 greyhounds won 3 of the 4 rounds in qualifying, and don’t forget that we will be running our dash for cash and 2nd chance drawing promotions that night. Let’s take a closer look at the finalists and see just how I think this race will play out.
Finals of the 2019 Orange Park Derby – Saturday evening February 2nd
Race 11 –
- Gs Onyx – (Pat C Clement – Gs Tegan) is a good closing greyhound that always seems to find a way to get into the mix at the finish line. She was in the money in all 4 rounds of the stakes and should not hate the post position here. If she wants a chance to win, she must break close.
- Itsafoolsgold (Sh Avatar – Rs Libblysdestiny) is a dual threat that can with or without the early lead in any race, and that is just what she did in the rounds. With 3 scores in 4 trips, she was a beast, and the post position is golden tonight! She has 4 straight wins when starting in blue.
- Leaping Linda (Larking About* – Loud Linda) is a strong breaking greyhound that runs her best when she is on, or near, the early lead in races. She won 2 of the 4 in qualifying, and both came on the front end from an outside post. The 3 box is not outside. She must break to overcome the post.
- Rs Axel Rod (Sh Avatar – Rs Libblysdestiny) littermate to Itsafoolsgold that also won 3 of the 4 rounds in qualifying. He is more of a frontrunner that can get caught late in races on occasion, but he has proven tough on top a time or two. The post will make him a threat as he has won 7 of his last 8 from midtrack.
- James Clubber (Djays Octane – Rck Catori) is the big question mark in this field. He is as fast as he wants to be and has gears to burn late in races. He stepped up big time in the semis with a closing win, but can he do it again tonight. Best late speed = threat, but he must be on the dance floor early to have a chance.
- In Cahoots Withu (Sh Avatar – Copy Cat) heads into this race as the hottest thing going with 3 straight wins, and 4 in her last 6 trips, she is a monster on the front end and can prove determined from just off the pace as well. Posted up, she must keeps breaking to threaten in this talented field.
- Gs Otis (Pat C Clement – Gs Tegan) is the littermate for Gs Onyx and not slouch himself. Unlike his sister, he is not consistent, but has all the tools needed to upset in this race if the planets are aligned just right. Tonight, it is all about the break. He must hit the lid to have any chance.
- Dutch Sydney (Barcelona Boss – Dutch Cami) is a new comer to the route but looks like she might just have found a home. She didn’t win a round in the stakes, but was close on several occasions, 2nd three times. She is a strong closer that will threaten late. Maybe she was saving her best run for the finals?
Ok this is how I see the race playing out:
The lure will come flying bye the 660 box, it will pop open, and we will be racing in the finals of the 2019 Orange Park Derby. Out comes the trio of breakers to challenge for the lead. With the one sitting early, Itsafoolsgold gets the inside route and the path of least resistance to the front end. Stealing away a slim margin as they head to the turn, but she will not be alone at all. In Cahoots Withu takes advantage of the slow breakers all around him and he is pushing the leader in the early stages. Rs Axel Rod also comes to run and is stalking the lead duo as they head around the corner. The rest of the field is in the rears and chasing the pace of the frontrunners, but no one is really in the same zip code. Down the frontside they go the first time and Itsafoolsgold and In Cahoots Withu continue to be locked up on the early lead. Both greyhounds giving their all and each trying to outdo the other on the front end. Rs Axel Rod is trying to keep pace but is finding that to be a hard thing to do. The others are chasing behind as they hope they get a chance to rally late in this effort. More of the same up front as the dynamic duo persist on the front end. Around the escape they go, down the backside, and to the far turn, just a pair up top causing havoc for the rest of this field. Itsafoolsgold still strong on the lead, but In Cahoots WithU is not going anywhere. Behind them is where it is starting to get interesting as Rs Axel Rod is drifting back and the closers have started to make their move. Dutch Sydney is coming on strong as well as Gs Onyx and James Clubber from well off the pace. As they round the corner and turn for home, it is a two greyhound race for the win as Itsafoolsgold digs in deep and holds off one last challenge for In Cahoots Withu to take the title at the wire. Kudos to In Cahoots WithU for a great race, but try as he might he just couldn’t get the leader to surrender in this effort. Dutch Sydney comes flying up late and steals away the best of the rest crown in the tight photo for third just ahead of the early threat Rs Axel Rod and the closing Gs Onyx and James Clubber. (2-6-8-4)