The finals of the 2018 bestbet Derby will run on Saturday evening November 10th in the 11th race on the card. Not only will we be seeing the best routers at the racetrack compete, we will have fun for the humans in attendance too. There will be 2nd chance drawings, where you can turn your losing Orange Park tickets into a $20 betting voucher if your name is drawn, and our Dash For Cash promotion, where you can be one of 5 winners of $100 if you select the winner of the Derby and your name is drawn. Once again, we have a talented a field to watch, wager, and win on so let’s take a closer look at them and just how this race might play out.
Saturday evening November 10th, 2018 – Finals of bestbet Derby
Race 11 on the card –
- Quick Style (Torrey Pines – Celeste) was a winner of 3 of the 4 rounds and heads into the finals has the hottest thing going with back to back victories at 37.25 seconds. A monster on the lead, he drew a great 1 box, and could be out and gone early on again here. If he breaks, he could be unbeatable.
- Token Phantom (Torrey Pines – Celeste) is the brother to Quick Style and he too won 3 of the 4 rounds in qualifying. He is a better closer than his brother and can come from well off the pace to steal races in the stretch. He like the rail too and could be a strong force again amongst the leaders tonight. Like his brother, if he can get to the front, they are not going to beat him.
- Arkans Tt Cash (Defrim Bale* – T’s Hanky Panky) is a tough runner when he is close to the early leaders in any race. He won 2 of the rounds, both on the front end from the start, but found trouble in the others when he sat in the starting box. He has the skills to get the job done, especially on the front end, so I huge break will be needed here if he wants a chance to win.
- Ab Smoke Show (Trent Lee – Rhapsody) is a strong closer that didn’t miss the trifecta in any of her starts in the rounds. She was the most consistent single round winner, and you really could see her hear and desire in each and every effort. She will be coming on strong late for sure, but the 4 box is not the 1 box. If she gets a clean trip, she could be in the mix again at the wire.
- Leadin The Crowd (Lonesome Cry – Pj Never Ask Why) slipped into the finals without a win and maybe, just maybe, she is saving her best run for the finals. A good closing greyhound, she finished 2nd in 3 straight trips and was in overdrive in the deep stretch. She might be a bit outclassed in this effort, and the post is not ideal, so she will need to step it up big time to contend.
- Itsafoolsgold (Sh Avatar – Rs Libbysdestiny) is another greyhound that made her way into the finals without a win in qualifying. Besides the semis, she broke well and was a threat throughout in each round and just missed taking home a W in 2 of those efforts. The post is ok with her, so if she wants to compete for the win, she must hit the lid tonight.
- Atascocita Kitty (Flying Westover – Atascocita Tisoy) stepped up in a big way in the semis with a win to catapult her way into the finals. She is ultra-tough on the lead but can be a bit short at times in the stretch with stronger greyhounds chasing behind her. She would rather be on the rail, but if she pops the box, it just doesn’t matter. Her only chance to come home winner in this effort will be if she is out of the box first.
- Johnny Camaro (Big Road – Stillwater Drive) is a strong front running greyhound that won 2 of the 4 rounds during qualifying. He has good early speed and has found ways to steal enough at the start to hold on late for the victory. His only issue might be the starting box as he is a long way from his beloved rail. If he fires out fast, he too has a shot to take home the crown.
At the start of this race the early speed is going to come to run as the box opens up. I see Johnny Camaro firing from the outside along with the 3 rail greyhounds, Quick Style Token Phantom, and Arkans Tt Cash. Around the turn they go, Johnny in command with Quick Style nipping on his heels with a bit of a gap back to Cash and Phantom. Around the turn and down the backside they will go, and Style will find a way to out turbo Johnny to the lead. The others will be coming too as Token will be on a drive and picking up places and lengths as the go. By the far turn, Style is in control of the race and breezing on the front end. Phantom is trying to catch the leader after surpassing Johnny. The rest of the closers start to make a run and Ab Smoke Show throws her hat into the best of the rest ring too as they turn for home. Down the stretch they go, and no one is catching Quick Style. Adding to his margin, he crosses easily as the champ. Token Phantom came a way to challenge but couldn’t get to his brother before the finish line. Johnny Camaro survives a late charge by Ab Smoke Show for third after a gallant early leading effort. (1-2-8-4)