The field is set, and the post positions are drawn, for the finals of the 2018 $75,000 James J Patton Silver Cup. Loads of talent made it into this final as 6 of the 8 greyhounds had to win 2, or more, rounds just to have a chance at the title. The remaining two won a round and finished in the money throughout qualifying. This field is stacked with early speed and strong rushes to the turn and I have a feeling that it is going to be crowded at the first turn. Who knows who comes out on top, but we are going to break down the competitors and recap how we think the race is going to play out, so that we can help you cash some tickets this weekend at bestbet Jacksonville.
Finals of the 2018 $75,000 James J Patton Silver Cup
Race 11 for Saturday evening March 10th, 2018
- Jedi Texas Acre (Hallo West Acre – Sakkara Wave) is back with a vengeance from Gulf Greyhound park and there he developed a break. Winning 3 of 4, and leading in every round, he will be tough up front. Drawing the one box just helps him contend tonight.
- Ww Whatsapp (Kc And All – Ww’s Sweet Heart) the pure puppy of the group that just reached grade A right before the rounds. He has blazing speed in the open, but he must break close to utilize it. He needs to rebound here, and the 2 box is a great place for him to start from.
- Speedo Tuxedo (Makeshift – Kiowa Jill Vik) is a solid grade A that has won multiple top-level races at bestbet. Finally, he has a chance at a title, and he will make the most of it in this effort. He is all about breaking, just like mom was here, and will to come out running to have a shot.
- Drink It Off (Pat C Clement – Barts Sweet Pea) was the recent winner of the Orange Park Derby and looks for revenge here as he lost by a half a length to his brother in the finals of the 2017 Holiday Sprint Stakes. He is the best closer, slowest breaker, and could challenge at the line.
- Lk’s Black Gold (Jack’s Big Lad – Lk’s Live Wire) is back for another try at a title. Blazing early speeder that pays for it late, she is the one to beat from the starting box. She just missed in 2 stakes so far, 2nd in Redemption stakes, 3rd Holiday Sprint Stakes, can she get over the hump?
- Fix A Drink (Pat C Clement – Barts Sweet Pea) will be the favorite to win this race. He won all 4 rounds in qualifying and the finals of the Holiday Sprint Stakes. He is the best sprinter at the racetrack right now, and he drew a great outside post. This field will be hard pressed to beat him in this effort.
- L’s Sum Dog (Lonesome Cry – L’s Rovi) has the best raw speed in the bunch and is as fast as he wants to be in any race. He can run down almost anyone in this field from behind and has been peaking after a rest before the rounds. Post is not ideal, but don’t count him out. He has already won 2 stakes, Redemption and Holiday Sprint Consolation. Tonight, could be another.
- Midnight Loot (Soprano Drive – World Of My Own) is the newcomer that might not get the credit that she has already earned. She is an early speed greyhound that is not short at the end of the race. This dual threat can run from anywhere, and if she can put lengths on them early, she will be very hard to run down before the finish line.
As the lure rounds the far turn and we get to racing, it is going to be extra crowded at the break. I think the best breaker in the field shows up, and that means that everyone is going to have to catch Lk’s Black Gold if they want to win. The empty post between the 4 and 5 box will get her room to break, and the slow breaking Drink It Off will allow her even more space at the start. She will seize control early as they head up the frontstretch tonight. She will not be alone though as I think Midnight Loot, Jedi Texas Acre, and even race favorite Fix a Drink will be in the mix. The others will not be far off as Speedo Tuxedo, Ww Whatsapp, and the slow breaking Drink It Off and L’s Sum Dog will be chasing the lead pack as they head into the turn. Black Gold will still be in control, but the rush to the turn will change the order of the chasers as they head down the backside. Fix A Drink has already moved up into second as Jedi Texas Acre and Midnight Loot battle it out for the next spot in the lead pack. By the far turn the lead has evaporated and race favorite Fix A Drink has taken over the lead. Black Gold still has a slight edge over the other two chasers as they gain ground on the tiring early frontrunner. Down the stretch they go, no one is going to catch or beat Fix A Drink as he breezes to a sweep in the finals of the 2018 $75,000 James J Patton Silver Cup. The real race on the racetrack will be for place as Jedi Texas Acre and Midnight Loot exchange jabs all the way to the wire. Jedi Texas Acre wins the duel as Midnight Loot finished a close third. Early leader black gold hangs on best she can and survives the late charge from the closers, L’s Sum Dog and Drink It Off to hold on in the final spot in the superfecta. (6-1-8-5)
Don’t miss out on this great event on Saturday evening at bestbet Jacksonville. No only will there be the stakes final, we will also be giving away T-shirts to the first 500 people through the door. These shirts will be used for future promotions throughout the year when you can win special gifts and prizes for wearing them to the racetrack and around town. We will also have our 2nd chance drawings, where you can turn your losing tickets into winning ones, with a nice crisp $20 voucher just by having your name drawn. So, grab some friends, make some plans, or reservations if you plan to eat, and have a great time at the best entertainment venue in Jacksonville Saturday evening March 10th, 2018. I’ll see you at the races!