Another great stake race is upon us here at bestbet Jacksonville with the finals of the 2017 Thanksgiving Marathon Challenge. The top 4 finishers in each of 2 qualifying races will take a spot in the 11th race on the card for Friday evening November 24th at bestbet Jacksonville. This one is going to be highly contested, and don’t forget you get a double dip as the consolation race runs in the 7th race on the card. Let’s take a closer look at both races and see if we can get you into the BLACK on Black Friday!
Friday evening November 24th, 2017
Finals of Thanksgiving Marathon in Race 11
Finals of Thanksgiving Marathon in Race 11
1. Jack’s Jet Speed (Pat C Clement – Jack’s Go Red) has really taken to the route and has won back to back races over this distance. He has a good break at 770, and can come off the pace as needed to score. He is not posted well, but could fire from the start anyways. One of the greyhounds to beat tonight.
2. Boc’s Queen Lady (Kc And All – Boc’s Snow Queen) is a stakes winner of this distance with the 2017 Ironhound Champ title. She is always around the money and will absolutely love this rail post position. She is tough near the lead and might need the front end early in order to pull off the upset in this effort. Even if she can’t win, she should be a factor throughout in this effort.
3. Dutch Dalton (Soprano Drive – Dutch Cami) made the most of his first 770 race as he posted a win against some of the best at the racetrack. He is on a tear, winning 3 straight, and he gets a great starting box to work from at the beginning of this race. If he continues to break well, he will be a force for the win again in this race. Streak continues?
4. Royal Clarion (Golden Squire – Quick Reward) is the early speed portion of the equation. Sure, she missed her break last time out, but before that she led all the way to the deep stretch. She will most likely be short again late, so she must steal a huge lead early if she wants a chance to score a title tonight. Post is fine with her, let’s see if she can make the most of it.
5. Pj Pigglngiggle (Amf Bad Bounce – Pj Miami) is also new to the course, but showed well in her first attempt. She closed throughout in that effort and should be making up ground late again tonight. No big-name efforts to call upon, but she looks like she could do better if she gets loose early on. Tough box, in the middle of it, but she likes it there. Her last 5 box start, a win by 6.
6. Jesse Owens (Flying Penske – Maverick Frances) another 1 time started that showed potential. Coming on strong in the stretch, Jesse stole away place at the finish and thrived from the outside post position. Another one wider here tonight and he could have his mind set on moving up the finishing ranks at the wire. If he can get loose, watch out.
7. Dutch Casey (Djays Octane – Djays Im A Star) is another all out trying greyhound that seems to be around the money in each and every start. He was just off in place in his first attempt and that could improve in this effort. He likes it outside and could dominate is he decides to break once again tonight. The finish at the wire is all up to him here.
8. Super C Amy (Sh Avatar – Super C Arias) held on for 4th at the wire in her 770 are race, but as you can see, she’s just not made to run this far. She is always close early, but the further they run shorter she gets. If she stands any chance to take home the W in this effort, she must hit the lid and hope for some help from behind her.
Now onto the race. No doubt you must like the winners in round 1 and that is just who a think has the best shot at winning this race too. Both have been breaking extremely well and it could turn into a battle royal up front for control and the win at the wire. I see Royal Clarion breaking well too and figuring with the leaders early, but in the end, she will come up a bit short coming home. Dutch Casey is the wild card for me in this effort. Always trying, posted well, strong closer, and it is tough to ignore that 44.18 clocking, which was almost as fast as Dalton’s winning time. So, watch for Jack’s Jet Speed to hit the lid, take the lead and be pressed by Dutch Dalton and Royal Clarion to the stretch, and for Dutch Casey to come on strong late and make it interesting at the finish line. (1-3-7-4)
Consolation for the Thanksgiving Marathon Challenge in Race 7
1. Herstal (Definate Opinion* – Mika) was the former 770 track record holder and the winner of this race last year. She ran strong 2 starts ago, but found trouble in round one and finished out of the money. Easily she is the best marathon greyhound here and clearly the one to beat in this effort. If she gets lose, this could get U-G-L-Y!
2. Easi Turner (Ays Octane – Easi Chloe) has shown some flashes when he wants to go, you just never know when that is going to be. He drew off by many lengths late over 660 and should be able to go this far if the planets are aligned. He likes the rail and gets it here, let’s see how it goes.
3. Lk’s Rose Petal (Barcelona Boss – Lk’s Cherokee) has experience over 770 and closed well in both efforts over the added distance. Truly all she needs to do is figure out a way to get closer early and get a clean trip around the racetrack. Her mom throws nothing but distance greyhounds and if this pup sorts it out, she could be the next great one. Watch out if she gets loose tonight.
4. Pat C Bona (Djays Octane – Gable Loaded) is new to the distance and didn’t get a fair shake in the first round of the stakes. He ran into trouble early and never recovered. He closed well in his 660 starts and appears that he can run this far. Another wildcard factor in this race.
5. Lee Banshee (Djays Octane – Lee Talia) is a force to be reckoned with when he can get to the lead in any race. His effort is not always the same when he has to start from behind. With no true breakers here, he might have a chance to see the front end early on. If he gets his nose out front, he could be tough to run down late tonight.
6. B’s Valiantnight (Djays Octane – Kelsos Uptosnuff) is another hot and cold running greyhound that gets steamier that closer he gets to the front end in any race. He has some great ability, but you never know when that is going to come out. He has a good starting post, so he might just show up tonight.
7. Pat C Nevada (Djays Octane – Gable Loaded) is a steady paced greyhound that can come on a bit at the end of the race over the 660-yard course. He has run this far a few times and has had some success on occasion. He needs to break better from a fairly decent post position tonight in order to have a better chance in this effort.
8. Nizy (Bd’s Grayson – Secret Papers) was the leader in wins in qualifying for the Orange Park Derby. In the finals she finished a closing 3rd. I think she can go this far, but she ran into trouble and finished just out of the cash at the wire in round number 1. Another 8 box, a good place for her to start from, she just needs to break better to avoid the trouble. If she clears, she could be the next best threat in this effort.
Tonight, in this effort, you have to love the 1 dog, Herstal. A former track record holder, and 2-time winner of a 770 stakes final, she knows how to get the job done over this distance. I think she breaks way to close in this effort and overpowers everyone late for the win. Early I think she will have to deal with Lee Banshee, who will decide to break in this effort and give the rest of the field fits on the front end, until she is passed late. Others to consider tonight include Nizy from the outside and Lk’s Rose Petal from the inside. Nizy will break well, stalk the pace, stay clear of trouble, and make it more interesting at the finish line than others will think. LK’s Rose Petal will shift gears in the stretch and find a way to make it into the money tonight. (1-8-3-5)