The finals of the 2016 $50,000 James J Patton Silver Cup are upon us. The field has been set and the post positions have been drawn, all that is left is to run the race and see just who is going to come out on top. The finals will go in the 11th race on the card for Saturday evening March 12th along with our 70th Anniversary promotion. Loads of cash and prizes given away, and there is CAKE too. Don’t forget to join us, but I bet you want to know about the final race too. So here is a little about the finalists and a race preview for you too.
Finals of James J Patton Silver Cup
Saturday evening 11th race
- Pat C Outbounds (Pat C Valdes – Pat C Go Ahead) Great post draw for the puppy here. This closing is coming into her own at the right time and could be an surprising factor from here. Winning might be a stretch, but I could see her in the money if she breaks well.
- Se’s Real Deal (Kc And All – Flying Cassel) The greyhound to beat in my opinion. Drew a great post away from the other early speed and should be out quickly again in this effort. Probably the favorite at post time, won 3 of 4 rounds, has tools to get the job done.
- Ww’s Sammy (Bella Infrared – Ww Kay Sun) Just missed with a 2nd place finish in last final, looking to make amends here. Good early speeder that drew a good post position. For her it will be all about the break. Can she come out fast? If she can see the lead, she can upset.
- Real Good Feelin (Tmc’s Remedy – Need A Date) Might not have the name rec as the other DQ greyhounds, but is just as fast and can close better than the other two. She has skills, just look at the semis, and if she WANTS to go early, she could be unstoppable late.
- Sunkist N Salty (Eds Budby – Big Drama) This cagey veteran has the most starts of anyone over the oval in this field. Experience will play a role, but the post is not to her liking. Her determined style of racing always gets looks. You’ll get her best, but will it be good enough?
- Need My Moneynow (No More Loving – Need A Date) This All-American dominated the first two rounds of the stakes and is the only greyhound to beat Se’s Real Deal in the rounds. He will flourish from outside, that is if he can remember how to break. Tonight could be redemption time.
- Ln Houdini (Vee Man Vane* – RFB In Misery) Is a hot and cold running greyhound that is about as fast as he wants to be on occasion. He is best near the lead, and from this good box, he could get close enough early here to factor. Coming late, he could be in the mix at the line.
- Pippi (Let’s Winendine – Pru Whistler) The best breaker in the field will most likely see the lead from this far outside post, her problems comes later on in the race. She can be caught from behind, but it will take a big effort to get it done. If there is trouble behind, she might just wire this field on the front end.
Now for how this final round race is going to play out:
As the lure flies through the far turn and the box pops open, I see Pippi doing what she does best, taking over early command of this effort. She will not be alone, but her break is best and she will see the lead over the rest of the field in the final few strides. Se’s Real Deal and Need My Moneynow will also break well as they chase the leader to the turn. Others will drop in behind and follow the rest as they turn the corner and head up the backside. Real Deal and Need My Moneynow gain ground on Pippi as they move toward the far turn. The closers behind Real Good Feeling and Pat C Outbounds both make moves of their own, but at this point they are competing for best of the rest in the superfecta. At the far turn the chasing duo becomes the leading duo as they get by Pippi and set their sights on the finish line. Both greyhound dig in to give their all, but in the end Real Deal wins a thriller at the wire. Need My Moneynow chases, leads, and is edged out at the wire, as Pippi relents from the front end position and holds on for show. Real Good Feelin outgames the puppy Pat C Outbounds late and takes home the final spot in the superfecta. (2-6-8-4)